Thursday, May 15, 2008

Baking Bread


The dough is rising. Really. Check out the grinding thingie there.

Yum...nothing like the smell of baking bread...

Our very own Reed Neubert gave me this recipe (via Candace Winkelman) and I baked bread today for the VERY first time. I know. I know. I am the Food Storage Specialist! I should know how to do these things. NOPE! Not me sister (& brother)! I am a newbie like a lot of you. I even ground up my very own wheat! Now THAT is progress. My mother should be VERY proud!

Here is the recipe if you are curious. It is oh so tasty and I hope not a secret:

Reed’s Bread:
Grind 7 cups wheat. (Really you have to grind it up for the freshest bread)

In a small cereal bowl put:
1/2 c hot water

2 T yeast
1T sugar


In a large mixing bowl (like a Kitchen Aid or Bosch):
5 c hot water

7 cups flour (wheat)


Mix for 2 minutes


Add 2 T salt

2/3 c oil

2/3 c honey


Mix in brief surges. Mix until all combined, about 2 minutes.

Add another cup flour and scrape edges, mix for another 2 minutes.


Wait until yeast reaches top of cereal bowl (or close) and add yeast, surge in, mix for 1 min.
Add 3 cups flour, mix for 10 minutes. Check consistency. You may need to add more flour so it won't be sticky.
Spray Pam in 3 pans and on counter. Dump out dough and knead. Divide into 1/3. Put into trays. Let rise for 30 min or so. Heat oven to 350. Bake @ 350 for 29 minutes.

Don't you just love the details for newbies like me??? LOVE IT! Happy Storing and Baking!
Thanks Reed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Megan, They look Beautiful! Way to Go!